Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Better Introduction

Alright everyone, have you had enough time to read that lengthy opening post? I figured two weeks should do it. So now let's get onto to meatier matters.

1. Who am I?

I'm from Maine originally and had a pretty normal childhood of academics, sports, and a slight addiction to the puzzle section in the newspaper. I went through the typical maelstrom of adolescence and made it out with a few battle scars, fewer stories, and a glaring lack of direction.

After a brief sojourn in LA (my acting career stalled, my pale skin burned, and the weather was still hot in December) I attended Emerson College for my BA in Writing, Literature, and Publishing. Boston was a fun city that I called home for almost five years. And then it was time to move on, simply put, so I did.

From Boston I took to Europe and spent seven months backpacking through seventeen countries. I was a farm hand, a carpenter, a nanny for three non-English speaking children, an art-lover, a reader, a lover, a friend, an expert at train schedules, and an adventurer. I felt lonely at times, exhilarated in others, lost and completely found at the same time, and in overwhelming awe of how little I know about the world and how easy it really is to explore. It was an experience that wasn't always - if ever - easy, and I am tempted every single day to pick up my father's outdated orange backpack, buy a ticket, and disappear all over again.

Now I live in Portland, serve at a restaurant, and generally attempt to survive in a city that's always been a home away from home. I listen to EDM, folk and classical music on a daily basis, hold down a fairly steady freelance job reading scripts (email me if you're interested; I also offer help on essays, stories and anything else with complete sentences) and dream of writing that elusive first novel.

There. That's a fair introduction. Oh, I'm a redhead. And a Gemini. Those seem important.

2. Why am I doing this?

I miss writing, and I miss being honest with myself and writing without too much agenda. I lament the lack of entertainment I find in my daily communications and would love to indulge in the sheer satisfaction of a clever alliteration or well-placed double entendre. Right now I'm sitting on my couch, the room illuminated with twinkle lights and snow falling gently outside the window, listening to classical music (Debussy, specifically) and feeling better with every click of the keyboard. Talk about therapeutic.

That, and sometimes I feel like I have insightful/funny/inspiring/relatable anecdotes and ideas, and what better medium to share them than a blog that might also gain me internet notoriety and land me a book deal? Multitasking all the time.

3. There really is no three, but a list of only two items felt incopmlete. So I'll make this paragraph all about expressing my gratitude for those who read, comment, and partake in my venture back to the written word. You're all wonderful and I look forward to getting to sharing my writing with you. I do love correspondence, so please feel free to comment, write emails, and include me in your own blog entries. Sometimes I can be eloquent in conversation.

That's enough for now, I suppose. Stay safe and keep warm, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment